By Josh Stein on Jul 10, 2009
Here’s the list (there are a few names that have changed since; notably Jim York, who does not appear on the official roster released by Spike TV). I’ve listed what official MMA records I could find, and the asterisks next to the name indicate that the fighter is a true heavyweight (something that I’m going to write more about as the season draws closer). Names and notes below the fold.
Zak Jensen (7-3 MMA)
Marcus Jones (4-1 MMA)*
Scott Junk (6-2-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC)*
James McSweeney (3-4 MMA)
John Madsen (1-0 MMA)
Matt Mitrione (0-0 MMA)*
Roy Nelson (13-4 MMA)*
Demico Rogers (1-0 MMA)
Brendan Shaub (4-0 MMA)
Darrill Schoonover (10-0 MMA)
Wes Shivers (0-0 MMA)*
Wes Sims (22-12-1-2 MMA, 0-3 UFC)*
Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson (3-1 MMA)
Abe Wagner (6-2 MMA)
Mike Wessel (6-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC)*
Justin Wren (6-1 MMA)*
- James McSweeney is a British muay thai and kickboxing fighter and a Cage Rage veteran. While his record may look unimpressive, he has a great number of kickboxing fights as well as experience in the top tier of British heavyweight MMA.
- Matt Mitrione is a former NFL defensive lineman most noted for his time spent with the New York Giants (he also did a stint with the Minnesota Vikings). On the scouting reports, he is listed at 295 pounds, though a good deal of the fat NFL lineman put on from doing less than adequate cardio (which you don’t need during short periods of anaerobic play, but do need for MMA) will probably have dropped off.
- Demico Rogers is a well respected high school athlete with one MMA fight. Whether that fight is as a professional or amateur, I’m not sure, but it was listed by LockFlow as a 27 second armbar finish. Size listings have also not been located for Rogers.
- Brendan Shaub’s 4-0 record consists of four consecutive TKOs, all under the two minute mark.
- Darrill Schoonover may very well be the dark horse in the competition. His 10-0 record consists of 5 TKOs and 5 submissions. However, Schoonover is only around 220 lbs, and can certainly make the drop to lightheavyweight a la Rashad Evans.
- Wes Shivers is a former tackle for the Tennessee Titans and is listed in scouting reports at just under 300 pounds. Like Mitrione, he will have lost much of that weight, but will undoubtedly still cut to 265.
- For other notes on the listed fighters, see the scouting report prepared with the original, rumored cast.
Filed Under: MMA
About the Author: Joshua Stein is a writer and editor for MMA Opinion. He has worked as a photographer and journalist and has a number of print journalism credits. He also works as a moderator for MMAForum.com and a grappling columnist (covering judo, collegiate wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and submission grappling) for profighting-fans.com.